Sun Week Pt. II: SPF For Black People.

There’s a misconception that Black people don’t need sunscreen or SPF protection. And while I sometimes can’t help but give a little inner side-eye whenever I hear this or the surprise I get from people when I talk about wearing sunscreen (after all, there was a long period of time that even I was unaware that I need it), it’s about time word got out that SPF is needed for ALL skin types, tones and colours. Welcome back to the last day of Sun Week where I’ll be talking about SPF for Black skin.

Let’s first start with the WHY which comes from the fact that melanin-rich skin doesn’t react to sun the same way those with lighter skin does, and that skin cancer isn’t as prominent. But that said, we still need to protect our skin from pollution, discolouration burning and drying – all side effects of sun exposure.

Like most things, when it comes to Black people (hair care, skincare even laser treatments), it’s not always as easy as simply going to your nearest shop and picking up whatever SPF they have, as our skin IS different and sometimes requires different ingredients. I must say that I’ve been lucky with my sunscreens of recent years, but I do remember a time when using sunscreen would leave me with a blue-like stain on my arms before turning a weird white/grey colour (I later found out this was because of titanium oxide and zinc oxide which is supposed to reflect sunlight, but shows up on dark skin). My sunscreen of choice? Nivea’s Sun Protect & Moisture 50+, which though a little on the thick side, does a great job of protecting me from the sun without painting all kinds of crazy colours.

And to help with the fight, two sisters have developed a sunscreen specifically for dark skin that protects Black skin from the sun whilst also moisturising skin without breaking the bank, using a key ingredient: vitamin. For more on that, you can check them out here.

With the summer solstice, almost upon us (only two more weeks) meaning the official arrival of summer and hotter temperatures, you can expect more Sun Week’s and sun-related content.

alice

xo

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,