What Your Hair Really Needs.

I honestly don’t think I can ever put into words this incredible hair journey I’ve been on for nearly eighteen months (!!!). Not only have I gotten to know my REAL hair and share it, but I’ve also learned so much about hair in general, like what ingredients do what, to how to grow it – and now, how to tell what exactly hair really needs.

Firstly I think the most important thing to remember is that hair really only needs two things: protein and moisture. So once you know what your hair is missing, being able to take care of it is a piece of cake. But now the real question is: how do you know if your hair is in need of protein or moisture? Well, it’s fairly simple…

When I was first trying to figure out how to handle my hair without relaxer, I came across some research on various sites that said if when your hair is wet and you stretch a strand, the strand keeps stretching and doesn’t snap, then it means your hair needs protein. At the same time, if your wet hair snaps immediately, that could mean it’s being fed TOO MUCH protein, which dries it out – in which case, what you need is moisture.

When my hair was wet and I pulled it, I found that my strands stretched and stretched without snapping. Following this revelation, I start looking at products with protein as the main ingredient (which is how I fell in love with Vitale Olive Oil Hair Mayonnaise). I’m happy to say that now, over a year later, my hair is going better and I’ve found that my wet strands don’t stretch like they used it.

During this time of religiously making sure my hair gets a healthy dose of protein, it seems as though I’d forgotten why I was so obsessed with making sure I always did my Hair Mayo treatments. That is until, I came across an article a few weeks ago, outlining how to tell if your hair needed moisture or protein. After reading the article, naturally I had to share it, so that you too can see what your hair really needs.

For more on the article, check it out here.

alice

xo

Labels: , , , , , , ,